Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hanukkah star album - guest post at D's Paper Studio

Debby from D's Paper Studio kindly invited me to write a guest post for her blog while she is celebrating the arrival of her new granddaughter. The blog post was up yesterday and I am reposting it here

When Debby asked me to write a guest post I knew I wanted to share a Hanukkah project. We take a lot of pictures during the eight days of Hanukkah - pictures of food, gifts, people, menorahs and more food. My favorites are pictures of candles. There is something magical in looking at the flickering candle fire. That is one of those rare moments when I feel connected to my ancestors.

After giving it some thought I decided to make a mini book, but not just any mini book - a star mini book. Years ago I took a class from Big Picture Classes (Big Picture Scrapbooking at that time) By Tena Sprenger. The class project was a hand sewn star mini book. I made one with pictures of my babies and it is one of my most favorite mini albums. I decided to make another star minibook  with some changes.




The original book is 6x6 and has 7 signatures. I made it 6x9 to include more pictures (did I say that I have a lot of pictures?) and used only 6 signatures. My star has 6 points like the Star of David.

I used three colors of Core'dinations cardstock for the book signatures that are hand sewn with waxed cotton thread. The patterned paper is from Hanukkah collection by Crafting Jewish Style.

For the cover I chose the patterned paper with an image of the Hanukkah Menorah and just added the title. The letters are Heidi Swapp invisible stickers lightly brushed with gold mist and the numbers are American Craft Thickers, of course. I added distress stickles in Antique Linen to the candle flames to make it a little more festive.


Here is how the album looks closed with all it's sewn signatures stacked neatly.



For the inside of the album I went with very simple design - one picture on the left in the Polaroid frame, two pictures of the right matted with coordinating cardstock.

I designed the Polaroid frames in Silhouette Studio software and cut them with my brand new Silhouette Cameo! Let me know if you are interested in the cut files, I will gladly email them to you.

The patterned paper is so bright and colorful that I didn't feel it needs anything else. The only embellishment is the file tab with a small Star of David sticker.
 
 
 
 





Small binder clip is holding the book covers together when the book is open.

For the next six weeks this book is going to live in our living room, reminding us about great time spent together with family and friends.

I can't wait to make new memories and take even more pictures this year. Five weeks till Hanukkah!

I wish you all happy and festive holiday season! 

That's was it. What do you think? I had so much fun designing these little frames in Silhouette Studio. I can't wait to do more and constantly planning other projects! Anyone else addicted to Silhouette??

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this! What a wonderful way to decorate for a holiday. And so cool that it's a 6 pointed star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maksim!!!! Amazing album. Thanks for visiting my blog. I was born in Israel but live in Canada now. I like supporting Israeli artist. I'm your follower now. I'm also having a giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking fo more info on Hanukkah and found this. It's beautiful and touching even for someone who's never lived the celebration.

    ReplyDelete