Friday, December 26, 2008

Fifth Night

Tonight we were invited to celebrate with our friends, we had the full set - the menorah, dreidels, sufganiyout and latkes. Gabi made some delicious latkes that quickly disappeared during the lively discussion about latkes recipes. Most people that I know prefer them coarsely grated with onions and eggs, something like that (from chefkosher.com):


Ingredients
4cups peeled potatoes, grated
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 tspn salt
2 tbspn flour
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
1. Make sure to squeeze out any liquid from the potatoes.
2. Combine all the ingredients together.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Use a spoon to scoop the mixture into the pan making patties.
4. Fry until golden-brown on either side.
5. Serve with sour-cream



I personally prefer them the way my parents are making them - grated very very thin, without onions or eggs. I wrote about it last year here. I eat them with sour cream and my kids eat them with sugar. No apple sauce in our house! :)

My Ella is fascinated with Hanukkah. She read all Hanukkah books in the school library several times. One of her favorite books is "Potato pancakes all around" It is a story about a peddler that teachers the villagers how to make potato pancakes from a crust of bread. I read this book to her at least 20 times and every time she makes sure that we have the "recipe" :)


Traditional latkes are made from potatoes but they can me made from any other vegetable or vegetable mix. Sweet potato latkes are delicious!

1. latkes!, 2. Baked Sweet Potato Latkes, 3. Potato Latkes with Calvados Applesauce, 4. Latkes, 5. eggplant latkes, 6. happy hanukkah!, 7. Hanukkah latkes, 8. latkes, 9. Yam & Potato Latkes
Created with fd's" Flickr Toys.
Today's giveaway is again from Maya Road warehouse sale kit - a tin with some sheer flourishes and paisleys, a tin with velvet blossoms and rub-ons and 2 yards of green trim. You know the trick - leave comment to be entered into the random drawing.

Let's find out who is the winner of the RAK #4:

Here are your random numbers:
8
Timestamp: 2008-12-26 07:30:23 UTC


Comment #8 is by Michal. Congratulations! Please email me at maya.orendahan@gmail.com

19 comments:

  1. LOVE the sweet potato ones !! Yummy !
    (and I like no onion and sour cream as well !!)
    Hope your celebration is a happy one!

    Huggs...Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely not tired of you. I really enjoy learning more about your heritage and traditions. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Maya I have just read through your blog, like Beth said I am enjoying learning about your traditions too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Thank you Thank you Thank you!
    I am so glad.
    It is great to be chosen, and you made my Hanuka happier!
    I sent you an email (in Hebrew of course).

    thank you again, I enjoy your blog very much

    ReplyDelete
  5. The latkes sound delicious, that is something that I would love to try. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so enjoying this little series you are doing. thanks so much. The latkes sound wonderful. Think I need to find either some jewish friends or try to make some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy reading about youre traditions and Heritage.The latkes sound delicious.


    Joan fiskateer #808

    ReplyDelete
  8. Latkes sound delicious. I would prefer them without onions too I think. Hope you are having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH I love Latkes in all kinds and shapes... this holiday my 9 month old baby started eating them too. it turns out he loves them as much as his mom... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the photos you are including!!! And love having you share your culture with us too! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only had latkes once & I loved them. There wwere no eggs in the ones I had & I ate them the way they were...no sour cream. Again, I'm enjoying reading about your traditions & the history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Hanukkah! Love Latkes. yummo! Love your blog.
    xoxox Sudie

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmm.... love it! i miss my grandmother's latkes so much....
    happy Chanuka to you and you family
    Neta

    ReplyDelete
  14. The best RAK of your blog is the sharing of your traditions and recipes. I love latkes, but I do like sour cream and applesauce on mine. That's the way I first had them and it just stuck with me. I'll try your recipe. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is making me hungry!! Yummy. Hope your celebration is happy and warm!

    Karen #4500
    karenvonbaron@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have inspired me ! I'm making some tonight...of course, with sweet potatoe !! My son's girlfriend is celebrating with her family downstate ...and is bringing some treats up on Sunday. It's nice having a multi-cultural celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh latkes sound yummy even the sweet potato ones. Too bad hubby wouldn't eat those but might get him to try some of the regular potato ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the ones made from potatoes. I'm having fun learning so much. I also love your cards in the post above.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to try a latke....they look yummie. Yummie blog candy. Thanks for sharing.
    Smiles, Sheri

    ReplyDelete